We love our volunteers!
For the security of our residents, all volunteers who help at our facilities are required to complete a background check. To become a volunteer, please fill out our Volunteer Application Form and return it to Ruth’s House staff.Volunteer Application Form
Our volunteers make our work possible. Check out our Volunteer Spotlight to read about a person or group who has really made a difference for Ruth’s House!Volunteer Spotlight
Ruth’s House would love to have you or your group volunteer with us. Our ability to offer help and hope is made possible by the contributions of our many volunteers, who together give about 4,000 hours each year to support our work and our residents.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Childcare Volunteers – Come play with the kids while their moms attend weekly meetings and classes. Short shifts available Wednesday evenings, once a month on Sunday afternoons, and Monday evenings from 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Front Desk Receptionist – Love helping others and have availability during weekdays? We are looking for front desk receptionists to help out at the shelter answering doors and phones and logging donations.
- Contractor or Handy Person – We are looking for contractors to help with needed repairs at the shelter for a variety of projects. Know how to fix a bicycle or lay tile or install carpet? Help with lawn care or landscaping? Consider volunteering at Ruth’s House.
- Graphic Design – Have graphic design skills, or technical know-how? We could always use your help!
Thank you and please stay posted each week for ways you can offer support!
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
- *Ruth’s House has many opportunities for student internships, service learning groups, job-shadowing and volunteer hours. We welcome you to contact us about an opportunity that fits your interests!
- Standing Committee Volunteers: Building Committee, Fundraising Committee, and Gala Committee.
- *Provide child care for residents who are working or attending classes.
- *Provide transportation to help residents get to appointments.
- Graphic Design or IT Support – Help with the design of our four-page newsletter, with flyers for our fundraisers, or with miscellaneous marketing materials.
- Handyperson for odd jobs that we can call to help with little projects like checking bike tires, replacing faucet washers, etc.
For information regarding volunteer opportunities please contact Suzzanne at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 507-334-5043.
This month's Volunteer Spotlight is Paul Kelm. Paul grew up in Faribault and has lived here most of his life. He is self-employed with a printed forms business and also manages the commercial properties he owns with his wife.
Paul is a wonderful volunteer and among other tasks, he has been a tremendous help this long winter helping to keep our driveways snowplowed so that our residents and staff could get in and out safely. Thank you Paul!
Paul truly enjoys volunteering at Ruth's House and believes and supports their mission of providing help and hope for women and children in crisis. Paul shares, "The work Ruth's House does fills a vital need in Rice County which is evidenced by their continued growth since 2003."
Paul says he is thankful for the opportunity to volunteer at Ruth’s House and encourages others to lend a hand.Past Volunteers
Other Ways to Help
In addition to volunteering your time and talents, you can help Ruth’s House in many other ways:
- Donate house supplies (current list available here and published periodically in the Faribault Daily News and Northfield News).
- Attend our annual Hearts Gala on February 8, 2020, and consider making a donation to the silent, live and dessert auctions.
- Pray and meditate for the mission of Ruth’s House and the well-being of the families we serve.
- You can always make a difference with a financial contribution.