We love our volunteers!
For the security of our residents, all volunteers who help at our facilities are required to complete a background check. To become a volunteer, please fill out our Volunteer Application Form and return it to Ruth’s House staff.Volunteer Application Form
Our volunteers make our work possible. Check out our Volunteer Spotlight to read about a person or group who has really made a difference for Ruth’s House!Volunteer Spotlight
Ruth’s House would love to have you or your group volunteer with us. Our ability to offer help and hope is made possible by the contributions of our many volunteers, who together give about 4,000 hours each year to support our work and our residents.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Lawn Care – We are looking for a volunteer to mow our lawn this summer. Know someone who like to mow and wants to help at Ruth’s House?
- Tile Installer – We are in need of someone with tile laying skills to help out with the installation of new tile in our dining and laundry room.
- Childcare Volunteers – Come play with the kids while their moms attend weekly meetings and classes. Short shifts available Wednesday evenings, once a month on Sunday afternoons, and “new” Monday evenings from 6:30 p.m.-8:30 p.m.
- Front Desk Receptionist – Love helping others and have availability during weekdays? We are looking for front desk receptionists to help out at the shelter on Monday, Thursday, and Friday mornings.
- Handyperson – Volunteer under the direction of the Building Committee to help with our list of needed repairs.
- Contractors – We are looking for contractors to work under the direction of the Building Committee on needed repairs at the shelter. Partner with us to stretch our funds.
- 2019 Gala Committee Member – Help plan next year’s Hearts Gala! Check under the Gala tab on the website for the date of our next meeting. We are eager for new members to help build on the success of the 2018 Gala. Whether you are interested in soliciting auction items or just interested in labeling wine bottles, your enthusiasm is what is most needed on this fun committee.
- Building Committee – This Standing Committee meets quarterly and is responsible for overseeing the maintenance and repairs at Ruth’s House. We are looking for fresh faces and ideas as we address shelter repairs and look to the future. This is an ideal opportunity for a local contractor, real estate agent, knowledgeable professional, or person with contacts in the community to give back. This committee meets quarterly.
- Graphic Design – Have graphic design skills, or technical know-how? We could always use your help!
Thank you and please stay posted each week for ways you can offer support!
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
- *Ruth’s House has many opportunities for student internships, service learning groups, job-shadowing and volunteer hours. We welcome you to contact us about an opportunity that fits your interests!
- Standing Committee Volunteers: Building Committee, Fundraising Committee, and Gala Committee.
- *Provide child care for residents who are working or attending classes.
- *Provide transportation to help residents get to appointments.
- Graphic Design or IT Support – Help with the design of our four-page newsletter, with flyers for our fundraisers, or with miscellaneous marketing materials.
- Handyperson for odd jobs that we can call to help with little projects like checking bike tires, replacing faucet washers, etc.
For information regarding volunteer opportunities please contact Suzzanne at
email@example.com or call 507-334-5043.
This month we are celebrating our volunteer spotlight Sue Katra who helps out each week as well as at other weekly or one time volunteer opportunities. Sue is our front desk receptionist Wednesday afternoons and she does an amazing job answering the phones and the door, accepting donations, and making connections with the clients. She helps to free up staff so they can provide direct care to the women and children we serve. Sue is a friendly face at Ruth's House and we enjoy seeing her each week! Thank you Sue!
"I enjoy meeting the adults and children who come to Ruth's House. It is exciting to witness the successes of these women as they find jobs, homes, and opportunities for education. These women are to be commended for their courage in the face of adversity."
Photo: Sue Katra (in red) surrounded by her familyPast Volunteers
Other Ways to Help
In addition to volunteering your time and talents, you can help Ruth’s House in many other ways:
- Donate house supplies (current list available here and published periodically in the Faribault Daily News and Northfield News).
- Attend our annual Hearts Gala on February 9, 2019, and consider making a donation to the silent, live and dessert auctions.
- Pray and meditate for the mission of Ruth’s House and the well-being of the families we serve.
- You can always make a difference with a financial contribution.