We love our volunteers!
For the security of our residents, all volunteers who help at our facilities are required to complete a background check. To become a volunteer, please fill out our Volunteer Application Form and return it to Ruth’s House staff.Volunteer Application Form
Our volunteers make our work possible. Check out our Volunteer Spotlight to read about a person or group who has really made a difference for Ruth’s House!Volunteer Spotlight
Ruth’s House would love to have you or your group volunteer with us. Our ability to offer help and hope is made possible by the contributions of our many volunteers, who together give about 4,000 hours each year to support our work and our residents.
Current Volunteer Opportunities
- Tile Installer – We are in need of someone with tile laying skills to help out with the installation of new tile in our dining and laundry room.
- Childcare Volunteers – Come play with the kids while their moms attend weekly meetings and classes. Short shifts available Monday and Wednesday evening throughout the summer.
- Front Desk Receptionist – Love helping others and have availability during weekdays? We are looking for front desk receptionists to help out at the shelter on Monday, Thursday, and Friday mornings.
- Handyperson – Volunteer under the direction of the Building Committee to help with our list of needed repairs.
- Contractors – We are looking for contractors to work under the direction of the Building Committee on needed repairs at the shelter. Partner with us to stretch our funds.
- 2018 Gala Committee Member – Help plan next year’s Hearts Gala! Check under the Gala tab on the website for the date of our next meeting. We are eager for new members to help build on the success of the 2017 Gala. Whether you are interested in soliciting auction items or just interested in labeling wine bottles, your enthusiasm is what is most needed on this fun committee.
- Building Committee – This Standing Committee meets quarterly and is responsible for overseeing the maintenance and repairs at Ruth’s House. We are looking for fresh faces and ideas as we address shelter repairs and look to the future. This is an ideal opportunity for a local contractor, real estate agent, knowledgeable professional, or person with contacts in the community to give back. This committee meets quarterly.
Thank you and please stay posted each week for ways you can offer support!
Ongoing Volunteer Opportunities
- *Ruth’s House has many opportunities for student internships, service learning groups, job-shadowing and volunteer hours. We welcome you to contact us about an opportunity that fits your interests!
- Standing Committee Volunteers: Building Committee, Fundraising Committee, and Gala Committee.
- *Provide child care for residents who are working or attending classes.
- *Provide transportation to help residents get to appointments.
- Graphic Design or IT Support – Help with the design of our four-page newsletter, with flyers for our fundraisers, or with miscellaneous marketing materials.
- Handyperson for odd jobs that we can call to help with little projects like checking bike tires, replacing faucet washers, etc.
For information regarding volunteer opportunities please contact Suzzanne at
email@example.com or call 507-334-5043.
Michelle Simpson is our volunteer spotlight this month. She has volunteered for childcare and most recently hosted an interview skills class. The residents learned many new tips to take to their next interview. Thank you Michelle for your kind heart!
Michelle writes: I was really excited to learn of Ruth's House. I moved to Faribault a few years ago and had been looking for a way to become involved in the community. Ruth's house mission is near and dear to my heart. I am a social worker by trade, I have worked in welfare and in mental health; my current work is not in a direct care capacity and that’s another reason I enjoy my time so much at Ruth’s house.
I met Suzzanne and toured the house this Spring and was instantly hooked. The staff and families are kind and very welcoming. A lot of my interactions so far have been with the kids and my do they have a lot of energy! Recently, I had the opportunity to spend a full day at Ruth's house and had the chance to play with the kids, clean the 1st floor and lead a job interviewing skills group.
I used to work as an Employment Counselor in St. Paul with young adults (18-21) on public assistance. The last time I was at Ruth's house I spent time with a group of young adults and we talked about resumes, job applications, and interview questions. We played a game where we put the top 10 job interview questions in a jar, answered them and the winners got treats.
I'm still new to my journey as a volunteer with Ruth's House and I look forward to finding other ways I can contribute to such a wonderful safe haven for our sisters and children in our community in need of safe housing.Past Volunteers
Other Ways to Help
In addition to volunteering your time and talents, you can help Ruth’s House in many other ways:
- Donate house supplies (current list available here and published periodically in the Faribault Daily News and Northfield News).
- Attend our annual Hearts Gala on February 10, 2018, and consider making a donation to the silent, live and dessert auctions.
- Pray and meditate for the mission of Ruth’s House and the well-being of the families we serve.
- You can always make a difference with a financial contribution.